Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Knitting a Glove without a Pattern

I had a commenter ask how to make my Fingerless Gloves for smaller hands. I was going to just size down the pattern, but I think you would benefit more from me showing you how I usually do gloves. You see, unless it's something unusual, I won't use a pattern. Same with socks, but that's a different post for another time. That's the beauty of knitting; once you see how you can construct something and the formula for it, you can pretty much do anything. Patterns are nice, but what makes a strong knitter isn't always the ability to follow a pattern, but to be able to improvise!

The basic things you see in the videos still are relevant; you still cast on and knit the cuff the same way. You still do the thumb increase the same way and still stop knitting in the round at the top of the hand the same way. This is just to show how I do all these things without using a pattern.

  1. First step is figuring out gauge. Knit out a swatch about 2 inches wide and measure how many stitches per inch you're getting with that yarn and needle combo. This step is important on any garment where fit is an issue. Even if you frog the swatch to reuse the yarn for your project, don't underestimate the power of the gauge swatch.
  2. Once you know how many stitches per inch, measure around your hand with a soft tape measure.




    If you look at the illustration, roughly where the red line is, but going all the way around your hand. Multiply how many inches around your hand is with how many stitches per inch you figured out in step one. Round up or down (whichever is closest) to a number divisible by 4 and cast on that number. For example, if you have 5 stitches per inch and you have a 5-inch hand circumference, you'd have 25. The closest divisible-by-4 number is 24, so you'd cast on 24 stitches. Of course, you also divide the stitches evenly on DPNs and use a marker to mark the beginning of the row. This will make for a very form-fitting glove. If you want something looser, cast on an additional 4-8 stitches.
  3. To knit a glove like the original pattern, start knitting in a 2x2 rib (2k2p) until you've reached a cuff length that you'd like. I usually go with 2-3 inches as I'm a larger-framed person, but you can make it as long or as short as you'd like. 
  4. Once you've gotten your cuff finished, knit 2 rows of stockinette (all knit). Then, at the beginning of the next row, you're going to start your thumb increase. This does not vary from the video save for the amount of stitches used.

      

  5. Basically, the way to do the gloves doesn't vary from the videos at this point. You do everything the same way, but with different stitches. The only thing that will change is the fingers in that you probably won't use the same number of stitches as I did if you have a smaller hand.
  6. If you're not inclined to visually estimate the circumference of each finger, measure as you did before with your soft tape measure around the thickest part of each finger to figure out how many stitches each one needs.
I am fully aware that this is a very short tutorial. I will happily answer any questions you have about this, but don't be afraid of this! If you're used to riding a bike with training wheels, it's only scary when you first take them off but then it's like you were born for it. :)

Here are the other videos in the series for reference:


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Two things:

1) When I measured, I got 7 stitches per inch and 7 inches circumference for my hand. I measured two or three times to be sure and wound up with 48 stitches. However, I soon realized this was way too big for me. I scaled down to 36 and only then got a decent fit. I want to know why that is? I know that the gauge is different depending on what stitch you use and I used stockinette instead of rib. But I didn't anticipate that big of an impact.

2) When I do the thumb increase, should I cut down to 1 extra stitch every other row or increase to 4 extra stitches every other row (since my hand is about half the size of yours). I mean, is that how it works when you're customizing a pattern for your size? Does it scale proportionally?

Sarah Hankins said...

Hi Taysha! You used stockingette for the wrist? That's where you're getting the size difference; the rib will shrink up and allow for stretch going over your hand. But by all means, use however many stitches you need to make the pattern work.

I'd still do the decrease the same way as you want a gradual decrease for fit and comfort.

Any time you do something for the first time without a pattern, there's always some trial and error. Once I figured out what worked for me, I was able to start doing everything by feel. :)

Unknown said...

I'm working no the fingers now and I haven oidea what I'm supposed to do. You said to transfer the stitches but I don't know what that means and your video didn't show you doing it. Plus, I don't know how many stitches I'm supposed to use?

Sarah Hankins said...

To figure out how many stitches, you measure your fingers and go from there :)

I was probably talking about transferring to another needle or to some waste yarn to hold the stitches you aren't working at the moment, is that correct? Just trying to answer your question correctly!

Unknown said...

What I'm confused about is:

1) In the video you were holding only two needles. One had a lot more stitches while the other still appeared to hold more or less sixteen. Does it matter how many stitches are on each of the two needles after transferring the finger stitches?

2) Which needle do you take the finger stitches from? Does it matter?

Sarah Hankins said...

Gaaa, I just saw this! Sorry!

You use 3-4 needles (whichever is better for you) for each finger. I just showed a partial set up.

I don't understand your second question. :(

Fingerless Gloves said...

i Cant cut curve shape at the end ..so please tell me how to cut my fingerless gloves .and how to make good shapeFingerless Glove

cyicrochet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

these gloves are easy to put on, even when your hands are full.Protect your hands on the snowy hills with these comfortable gloves. winter knit gloves wholesale